FW: What else do we need to fix to make K12Linux production ready

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 19:03:27 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Paul Nelson <PNelson at nwresd.k12.or.us> wrote:
> Network defaults ready for use in schools:
> K12Linux is often installed by teachers experimenting with Linux and thin-clients in their classrooms. It's important to understand these folks as customers when making decisions about how to configure K12Linux. The two network card setup worked so well because these servers could be isolated from the network and could at the same time, create a network in a classroom or lab. Out of the box they had DNS, DHCPD and NAT working so the K12linux box would act as a gateway to the rest of the network and at the same time, create a rational, usable network inside the school or classroom (usable for other PCs too). I think it's important that the kind of scripting that Eric did in earlier releases finds its way into K12Linux for Fedora 9 as well.

I agree with this Paul. I think we are going to be getting a lot of
people frustrated with the virtual bridge networking configuration. I
prefered it the way it was in k12ltsp.

As far as I understand it there where 2 reasons for using ltspbr0

1) it's easy to connect vm's to test ltsp
2) people won't accidentally broadcast dhcp by connecting eth0 to the wan

I don't really feel these are valid reasons because:

1) people who are going to test with vm's are going to be ltsp dev's,
not the average teacher who wants to run a lab. Dev's have the ability
to set this up themselves, they don't need it to be defualt. We need
to make it easy for most people, not dev's. So it adds unneccessary
complexity.

2) once the bridge connects to a real eth device (which you need if
you are going to boot real clients) you can still accidentally
broadcast dhcp

So I'm not sure I  understand why we are doing things this way.

Second, apparently I understand that F9 + ltsp5 cannot provide an ip
(via dhcp) to other stand alone OS's on the clients and act as a
gateway. This used to work with k12ltsp. If this does not work it's a
real problem because the only way I was able to get approval for my
ltsp lab was that I could still boot Windows from the local HD's. Is
this ability really gone? I tried testing last night but for some
reason my F9 ltsp had it's ltsp-dhcpd service off and I couldn't get
it to start again.

--
Robert Arkiletian