rpm for ISO-8859-1 locale

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 19:42:50 UTC 2008

On 9/8/08, Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> wrote:
> Robert Arkiletian wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know the rpm package that provides ISO-8859-1 Latin
> > character set locale for K12LTSP 5EL?
> >
> > I'm trying to include support for international characters in
> fl_teachertool.
> >

>  What kind of files would this contain?

that's what I'm trying to figure out. Unfortunately, fltk (the gui
toolkit I use for fl_teachertool) does not currently support utf-8.
But iso-8859-1 locale supports most european and north/south american
languages. So I want to figure out the rpm package name to instruct
people to install it. Here is a message I received from a person who
is adding internationalization to fl_teachertool

------snip-----
The second problem which I encountered is that FLTK
doesn't support Unicode. I see on the FLTK website
that Unicode support will come in the future with
version 1.3. The problem is that most people
now-a-days set their locale to use the UTF-8 character
set, so gettext will send unicode characters to
fl_teachertool. This causes all the international
characters to show up as question marks or
garbly-gook. I tried to write a function which would
detect if using UTF-8 and switch the locale to
ISO-8859-1, but many users don't have the ISO-8859-1
locale defined on their systems. Do you know how to
get around this problem?

>  Does this exist on other distros or something?

No. I'm only concerned with k12ltsp 5EL for now since that's what
fl_teachertool works with right now.

--
Robert Arkiletian