what are you using for TC's

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Mon Dec 7 19:36:18 UTC 2009

Barry,
A  couple of things -
1- Intel's Atom is a game changer for TCs. I was able to get a handful
of MSI Wind barebones open box from Newegg for under $100. I only needed
to add a stick of memory. As the essential hardware is the core of much
of the netbook market (1.6 ghz Atom and Intel 945 video), these can act
as thin, skinny or fat clients for all but the most demanding tasks.
While they may not be in your budget at this price, what it means, going
forward is that the price of new hardware for clients will become
decreasingly a factor in the overall cost of a desktop infrastructure.
If you add what is happening with AMD and with ARM processors, I'd be
willing to say that client computing will get quickly fatter over the
next several years.

2- I've not had the opportunity to test it but I've heard that FreeNX,
as much as I absolutely love it, doesn't scale well. You may want to see
if you can get 20 instances running on a server without significant lag
before you commit to that direction. For a couple of clients, it can
really help, though. I used to use it on a P! 166 laptop that was
running FreeNX over wireless and the performance was surprisingly good.

Regards,
William