K12Linux in a multi homed environment

Bond, Darryl dbond at nrggos.com.au
Sat Feb 14 00:48:02 UTC 2009

I don't know about non-standard, this is from the upstream ltsp5 documentation:
#
# Default LTSP dhcpd.conf config file.
#

authoritative;

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    range 192.168.0.20 192.168.0.250;
    option domain-name "example.com";
    option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.1;
    option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255;
    option routers 192.168.0.1;
#    next-server 192.168.0.1;
#    get-lease-hostnames true;
    option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
    option root-path "/opt/ltsp/i386";
    if substring( option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9 ) = "PXEClient" {
        filename "/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";
    } else {
        filename "/ltsp/i386/nbi.img";
    }
}

Note that the IP address is not in the root path. I have never been able to get this to work in our environment.
I'm not sure why, except that the dhcp server is on Solaris but is the latest ISC dhcpd.

In the past I modified the initrd to make it work:

NFS_IP=` echo ${ROOTPATH} | cut -d : -f 1`
NFS_DIR=`echo ${ROOTPATH} | cut -d : -f 2`

if [ "${NFS_IP}" = "${NFS_DIR}" ]; then
    #
    # Only the root directory is specified, then we have to use the
    # default IP address.  For now, we'll use the DHCP server address
    #
    NFS_IP=${DHCPSID}
fi

The server IP address is extracted from the next-server dhcpd.conf directive. I am very keen to use the default Fedora LTSP kernel from here on so I am not interested in modifying the initrd each time it updates.
I use scripts to generate the dhcpd.conf for our environment so I certainly could put the IP address in the root path for each client. I don't know what that will do to the dhcpd when it is hosting 300+ ltsp clients.

I suppose I could break the groups up differently, at present they are broken up by LTSP version (currently 4.1, 4.2 and now 5.1). I could group them by subnet as well but it just gets even more complex.

Darryl