Hosting K12LTSP on Solaris 10

Bond, Darryl dbond at nrggos.com.au
Tue Feb 17 00:36:45 UTC 2009

I did some digging through the nash source.
There does not seem to be any way to externally pass additional nfs options for the mount.

I modified the initrd nash script successfully with
mkrootdev -t dhcp -o wsize=8192,rsize=8192,noatime,dhcp dhcp

Of course, it would be nice to let nfs negotiate the correct block size or make the server set it but I have not yet found a way to do that either.
I'm not sure if the problem is Solaris 10 nfs or the underlying zfs filesystem. Our other Solaris 8 servers do not exhibit the problem.

Darryl

>We are moving out LTSP environment from LTSP4.2 to K12Linux 5.1 hosted on Solaris.

>When we updated one of our Solaris servers from Solaris 8 to 10 on LTSP4.2 we found that the nfs performance was horrible with the machine sometimes not completing the boot from NFS errors. The fix was to >set the NFS block size to 8192 for read and write. The clients booted better than ever. The way this was done was to set the nfs module parameter on the kernel command line with MOPTS=...

>K12Linux has the same problem, except that the MOPTS does not seem to do anything.

>What to do??

>Regards
>Darryl

The contents of this electronic message and any attachments are intended only for the addressee and may contain legally privileged, personal, sensitive or confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, and have received this email, any transmission, distribution, downloading, printing or photocopying of the contents of this message or attachments is strictly prohibited. Any legal privilege or confidentiality attached to this message and attachments is not waived, lost or destroyed by reason of delivery to any person other than intended addressee. If you have received this message and are not the intended addressee you should notify the sender by return email and destroy all copies of the message and any attachments. Unless expressly attributed, the views expressed in this email do not necessarily represent the views of the company.