Minimum RAM requirements

Darryl Bond dbond at nrggos.com.au
Fri Feb 20 05:32:48 UTC 2009

I'm wondering if it is actually a bug in PA. The command line that the
pa server is started in ltsp with is:
                /usr/bin/pulseaudio --system \ <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                --exit-idle-time=-1 \
                --disable-shm \                    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                --no-cpu-limit \
                --resample-method=trivial \
                --high-priority \
                -L module-detect \
                -L "module-esound-protocol-tcp auth-anonymous=1" \
                -L "module-native-protocol-tcp auth-anonymous=1" \
                -L module-volume-restore \
                -L module-rescue-streams \
                -L module-native-protocol-unix \
                -n &
man page says that --disable-shm should just use sockets which is what
we want anyway.
It seems to go ahead and allocate 64Mb of shared memory anyway.
Also if we use --system is is not supposed to use it. We use both.

       --disable-shm[=BOOL]
              PulseAudio  clients and the server can exchange audio data
via POSIX shared memory segments (on systems
              that support this). If disabled PulseAudio will
communicate exclusively over sockets. Please note  that
              data  transfer  via  shared memory segments is always
disabled when PulseAudio is running with --system
              enabled (see above).

Darryl