No mouse pointer with LTSP-T1420 Thin Client

k12linux at xemaps.com k12linux at xemaps.com
Fri Jan 23 16:38:29 UTC 2009

On Thursday January 22 2009 9:45:33 pm Warren Togami wrote:
> * Replies will be sent through Spamex to k12linux-devel-list at redhat.com
> * For additional info click -> http://www.spamex.com/i/?v=30982533
>
> Peter Scheie wrote:
> > I used to run into this on a server a few releases back.  You might try
> > building an xorg.conf file for this client and include this line in it
> > in the Device section for the videocard:
> >
> > option "HWCursor" "0"
> >
> > This fixed it for me; it was a known bug in xorg at the time. YMMV.
> >
> > Peter
>
> You don't need an xorg.conf.  This type of option in lts.conf might work.
>
> X_DEVICE_OPTION_01='"HWCursor" "0"'
>
> As for the cause of this bug, it is an X driver issue.  File a bug in
> bugzilla.redhat.com against xorg-x11-drv-openchrome.  State exactly what
> version of the driver you are using, what video chip, and the nature of
> the problem you are having.
>
> Warren Togami
> wtogami at redhat.com

SCORE!!!

Although I had to muck around with the lts.con file for 2 hours to find the
right combination :(, I got it working :).  It turns out I had to force
SWCursor to be on, not HWCursor to off... odd, I know.  Oh, and the line needs
to be escaped by backslashes not single quotes ;)  So basically I ended up
adding this to my lts.conf file:

	X_DEVICE_OPTION_01 = "\"SWCursor\" \"1\""

Now I am in 1680x1050 DVI heaven ;)

For what it is worth, if anyone has a wide screen LCD with DVI and wants to
optimize that, here are the lines I had to add to my lts.conf:

	X_OPTION_01 = "\"ForcePanel\" "\"True\""
	X_MODE_0 = "1680x1050"

Luckily, I was anticipating having troubles with the DVI and resolution since
my LTSP 4.2 has the same issues.

At any rate, thanks to everyone for your helping suggestions.  Now if I can
just get my sound working, I would be one happy camper :D.

Regards, Andrew

P.S.  Is there anyway to search the mailing list archives?  I will probably
have more questions, but I don't want to repeat what is already out there.