Local Apps - PPC

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Wed Mar 18 19:47:36 UTC 2009

Gary Larizza Jr. wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>     Robert has a great "how-to" on Local Apps here -->
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/k12linux-devel-list/2008-October/msg00035.html but
> it applies to i386 clients.  You can't really run "chroot /opt/ltsp/ppc"
> if your server is an i386 machine as you'll get the "Exec format
> error."  I tried opening up a shell on a PPC-booted client and running
> something like "yum install firefox", however it gives me an nfs error
> about the IP to the server not responding.  Short of setting up a server
> on a PPC machine, is there a way to do this?
>     I tried going to the shell from a PPC-booted device, ssh-ing into
> the server, and then running the command that way.  Since you're only
> connecting to the server itself, which is STILL i386, that's also a
> no-go.  Obviously, I'd like to get Firefox/Flash setup as a Local App.

This might work...

* untar the ppc chroot somewhere else on the server.
* export that as a separate NFS directory read-write
* Boot your ppc client and mount that somewhere
* chroot into that
* yum install
* Move that new chroot into position

Keep in mind though that local apps require a lot more RAM and CPU than
most thin clients have, and most PPC's are dismally slow to begin with.

Warren