No Client Login

murrah boswell otrcomm at isp-systems.net
Thu May 14 05:37:59 UTC 2009

Hello,

>> I just setup my first liver server system on a usb stick and got the client
>> to connect but there is no Login box to enter a username. My client is a
>> Dell Latitude C600 with 3Com miniPC nic. Any ideas why the login screen
>> would not produce? I can see the Sponsered by RedHat at the bottom and can
>> go into the Preferences box, but no Login box. I just get this constant
>> flicker where the K12Linux logo should be. I can move the mouse across where
>> the Login box should be and the cursor changes to like it is over a text box
>> but that is about it.
>>
>> Is the problem with the Dell box?
>
> What is the video in the client? Does the client work OK booting from
> a Fedora Live CD?

I am not sure what the video is in a Dell C600, but what I have done now is connect to another newer workstation with an XJ700T MAG
monitor and the connection is perfect. So, I think the problem was with the Dell laptop video controller.

Since this is a development mailing list, do you guys mind if I continue asking questions here? I do not see any traffic on the
User's list, so I came here.

One question I do have is why netfilter was not compiled into the kernel for K12linux, or is it just missing from the LiveCD? I ask
because I could not find any of the netfilter kernel modules like ipt_REJECT.ko, ip_tables.ko, ip_conntrack.ko, iptable_filter.ko,
ipt_state, etc.

Also, how much trouble is it to take an existing server running RHEL 5 and build the K12linux system into it?

Thanks,
Murrah Boswell