New virtual install client crash

Chris Carpenter mordocai at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 20:21:44 UTC 2010

Hello,
The community college that I work for is considering switching from windows
XP to LTSP web kiosks. Now, we will eventually want local applications and
similar things, but we aren't to that stage yet. First, we simply want to
see how it works. So, to start with, i downloaded the k12linux i386 live cd
and installed it to a virtual machine with vmware. After the install, i
tried ltsp-vmclient. This seemed to work at first, but near the end of the
down to the double virtualization) there is a pulseaudio sefault and then
the x server starts to load and the client crashes. Any idea what the
problem is?

The following errors show up in terminal after running ltsp-vmclient:(sound
not working isn't a problem, we don't have speakers anyway)

+ qemu-kvm -soundhw all -hda /dev/null -boot n -m 256 -net nic,model=e1000
-net tap,script=/usr/sbin/ltsp-
qemu-bridge-ifup
open /dev/kvm: No such file or directory
Could not initialize KVM, will disable KVM support
oss: Could not initialize DAC
oss: Failed to open `/dev/dsp'
oss: Reason: No such file or directory
oss: Could not initialize DAC
oss: Failed to open `/dev/dsp'
oss: Reason: No such file or directory
audio: Failed to create voice `pcspk'
pcspk: Could not open voice
oss: Could not initialize DAC
oss: Failed to open `/dev/dsp'
oss: Reason: No such file or directory
oss: Could not initialize DAC
oss: Failed to open `/dev/dsp'
oss: Reason: No such file or directory
audio: Failed to create voice `es1370.dac2'
oss: Could not initialize ADC
oss: Failed to open `/dev/dsp'
oss: Reason: No such file or directory
oss: Could not initialize ADC
oss: Failed to open `/dev/dsp'
oss: Reason: No such file or directory
audio: Failed to create voice `es1370.adc'
/builddir/build/BUILD/kvm-74/qemu/tcg/tcg.c:1167: tcg fatal error
/usr/sbin/ltsp-vmclient: line 7:  3316 Aborted                 qemu-kvm
$SOUNDDEV -hda /dev/null -boot n -m 256 $VGAOPTION $NICMODEL -net
tap,script=/usr/sbin/ltsp-qemu-bridge-ifup

Thanks,
Chris Carpenter