[K12OSN] logon scripts

I have two questions for anyone who might can answer them.

question 1: how do you create logon scripts or any script for that matter to work with samba and my unix box? here is a sample of one that I use when users log onto the box. I have it in the netlogon folder. this file was created before I started work here so I have no idea how to create one or modify this one. what is the purpose of the NUL at the end? when you look at it on the unix box it shows NUL ^M at the end.

@ECHO OFF
SET SERVER=FS1
NET USE S: \\%SERVER%\STUDENT /YES > NUL
NET USE X: \\%SERVER%\FACULTY /YES > NUL
NET USE W: \\%SERVER%\WEB /YES > NUL

question 2: I have apache running on the server. when users access the webserver it places info in a log file called httpd-access.log is this normal? seems this could become a huge log file if alot of traffic comes through here.

thanks for your help.

Stephen Wagner
District Technology Coordinator
Danville Public Schools