Re: [K12OSN] Re: MOSIX

Well,

And I thought I was going to be a troublemaker. Even my slashdot didn't get that bad.

I've been playing with mosix for over a year now. I don't remember how many kernels I've compiled, tweaked, and/or destroyed. Documentation has been lacking. From my point of view I can not tell what direction MOSIX is going in.

The existence of OpenMosix was brought to my attention by James and the a couple of people on the OpenMosix team. I see a clear position and goals for this project. The project better meets my goals.

The goal I am aiming for is a distribution CD. I want to let the average linux user who has never compiled a kernel before to set up a cluster. My HOWTOs are just the first step.

Time and money permitting I would like to write a book covering the building of a cluster from the junkyard to running on the desktop.

Its been a busy couple of weeks but a K12LTSP+OpenMosix howto with pre compiled kernels and an install script are coming soon.

just my $0.02

Richard Camp

James Jensen wrote:

Thanks Jim, that really means a lot to me coming from you.

In case anyone is new to K12LTSP or this list and is not aware, Jim
McQuillan is "the man" when it comes to Linux Terminal Server Project.

http://www.ltsp.org

His work and efforts are really the backbone of the whole project.
Indispensable.  It makes it possible for a geek like me to take a 486 and
turn it into a working, usable workstation in 2002.  I constantly tell my
windows-using friends that Linux allows me to do things that I would *never*
be able to do or afford using proprietary software (*cough, W*ndows,
cough*).  I'm sure you all have similar experiences.  The great thing about
this list is that we get to share our knowledge making it work even better.

I remember not too long ago a call was made for documentation.  Where are we
today?  What can you do or have done with K12LTSP or LTSP in general that
you can share with the rest of us?  Maybe you will save someone hours, even
days struggling to get this or that piece of hardware to work with the
system--just by posting a few notes.

Please don't be deterred by this thread.  Let's go forward in the spirit of
the Open Source movement and continue to make it all the better.  I hope I
can contribute again.  Perhaps I will be a little more careful in my wording
next time.

I'm a geek, what can I say.  I want to make things work better and faster.
When I get something working, the first thing I do is get the word out.  I
just need to be a little more focused in how I do that I guess.

Thanks again Jim,

James Jensen

----- Original Message ----- From: <jam McQuil com> To: "James Jensen" <jmsjnsn linuxfreemail com> Cc: "David D. Huff Jr." <David Huff computer-critters com>; "Richard Camp" <rcamp campworld net>; <K12OSN redhat com> Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 9:55 PM Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Re: MOSIX

James,

I just read through your HOWTO on OpenMosix and LTSP.

It has to be one of the best HOWTO documents i've read.

It's very concise and clear, detailing how you setup your
OpenMosix environment.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks,

Jim McQuillan