Re: [K12OSN] /etc/services

At 08:22 AM 4/2/2002 -0600, Stephen Wagner, District Tech. Coord. wrote:
>are there suppose to be two of every service listed in the /etc/services
>file?  I have two of each service in mine.
>
>could someone help me explain this file?
>

>thanks,

Hello Stephen,

The documentation on the services file can be found with the command:

"man 5 services"

This will completely describe the format of the file.

Are you sure that the lines are exact duplicates ?

Aren't the port numbers incremented in each line ?

Here is part of my services file and many of the services
are listed twice but sometimes on a different port the second
time.

Yours is probably OK.

#echo       7/tcp
#echo       7/udp
#discard        9/tcp       sink null
#discard        9/udp       sink null
#systat     11/tcp      users
#daytime        13/tcp
#daytime        13/udp
#netstat        15/tcp
#qotd       17/tcp      quote
#msp        18/tcp              # message send protocol
#msp        18/udp              # message send protocol
#chargen        19/tcp      ttytst source
#chargen        19/udp      ttytst source
#ftp-data   20/tcp
#ftp     21/tcp
#fsp        21/udp      fspd
#ssh        22/tcp              # SSH Remote Login Protocol
#ssh        22/udp              # SSH Remote Login Protocol
##telnet        23/tcp
## 24 - private
#smtp       25/tcp      mail
## 26 - unassigned
#time       37/tcp      timserver
#time       37/udp      timserver
#rlp        39/udp      resource    # resource location
#nameserver 42/tcp      name        # IEN 116
#whois      43/tcp      nicname
#re-mail-ck 50/tcp              # Remote Mail Checking Protocol
#re-mail-ck 50/udp              # Remote Mail Checking Protocol
#domain     53/tcp      nameserver  # name-domain server

--
Jeff Kinz, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA. Email may contain words incorrectly
generated by Speech Recognition software. "jkinz ultranet com" copyright 1997-2002.