Re: [K12OSN] .bash_history

At 09:26 AM 4/2/2002 -0500, Michael Cortes wrote:

>I have used "vi /root/.bash_history" in the past to look at my previous
>commands, and to remember commands that I do not know off the top of my head.
>
>I have found recently, that my /root/.bash_history is not being updated.  As a
>matter of fact it has not been updated in quite a while.
>
>Can someone assist in this?  Where would my history be kept?  More importantly,
>how do I look at my own system to find out where the history is kept?  If it is
>a malicious event, or if this ever occurs again, I would like to know how to
>fix this.

Hi Mike,

I don't remeber who said it but
"Never ascribe to malice what can be explained by ignorance."

Probably applies here.

What are the mode settings on your history file ?

What are your shell variable that control your shell history
set to ?

These things do a lot to control your shell history.
--
Jeff Kinz, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA. Email may contain words incorrectly
generated by Speech Recognition software. "jkinz ultranet com" copyright 1997-2002.