Re: [K12OSN] Re: MOSIX

Paul:

Thanks!

This is great news.  I'll be very interested in hearing the results.  My
testing was very limited (as my doc indicated).  I did not have a large
scale environment to work with.  One thing I did find though is that when I
ran my stress test the process migrated to the next biggest machine (the 2nd
P II).  You would probably have to really load the server down before
processes started really hitting, say, the 486.  If all the clients were the
same machine then I'm sure you would see processes moving all over the
place.

That's not to say, that the 486 didn't get to see some action.  I don't have
details on how OpenMosix chooses it's migration path but I believe Richard
indicated that you could script it so that processes migrated however you
wished instead of automatic selection by the kernel.

Lots of interesting stuff here for sure.  Be sure to check out the man page
for the mon command.  It has different switches to configure your monitoring
preferences.

Also, there is documentation on the OpenMosix SourceForge site that might be
useful in gaining a better understanding of how it does it's thing.  For
general info see:

http://openmosix.sourceforge.net/

For documentation on how OpenMosix works I suggest:

http://openmosix.sourceforge.net/#docs

I have had a chance to read them all yet (except mine of course, LOL!) but
it looks like the project is well under way!

James