----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Camp" <rcamp campworld net>
To: "James Jensen" <jmsjnsn linuxfreemail com>; "Guy Lessard"
<glessard coll-outao qc ca>; <K12OSN redhat com>
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2002 2:13 AM
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Re: MOSIX

> Everyone,
>
> >From my testing 8 nodes running seti home went pretty good.  100Mbit
switch should be fine for smaller installations.  A switch with a
> gigabit link to the server should keep most people happy for some time.
The idea of course is to make the client display responsive.
> You may want to try traffic shaping.  Have the server kernel give the
highest traffic priority to the Xwindows protocols.  Your client display
> refresh rate will rely on how loaded the server is.
>
> The next challenge is migrating processes off the server.  The easiest way
I've found is to tell mosix that the CPU speed is slower than it
> really is.  This has worked for me at least.
>
> The other issue is process execution time.  The longer the process runs
the more likely it will migrate to another node.  The next time you
> compile the kernel do the following.
>
> Take the number of nodes you have and add one to it.  If you have any
nodes that have multiple CPUs, count each CPU as a node.  My
> example cluster gives me 6.  Type
>
> make -j6 bzImage
> make -j6 modules
>
> Watch the load on the cluster.  Your mileage will vary on this one:)
>
> Good luck
> Richard Camp
>
> > I know one thing for sure, with the 4-5 PC's I had running on 10Mbit,
that
> > poor little hub was smokin' when I would stress test the cluster--solid
> > green activity lights across the board.  The collision light wasn't
solid
> > but it was flashing *a lot*.  Watching the lights is not a very accurate
> > measure of traffic of course, LOL, but with no management facility on
it,
> > that's the best I tell you.
> >
> > When the cluster was under load it still appeared that the clients
Xwindows
> > refreshes were working well (even better then  with non-OpenMosix
kernels.
> > Especially on that old 486-66mhz.  It really made it feasible &
worthwhile
> > to use that old dog as a client.).
> >
> > As you mentioned it will be very interesting to see what happens on a
large
> > set up.  I'm guessing that a Fast Ethernet (100Mbit Full Duplex) network
> > would be able to handle the load even on a larger install.
> >
> > The big concern, to me, remains--what happens when Client #1 process A
is
> > running on Client #5, and Client #5 powers off.  What happens to process
A?