Re: [K12OSN] Re: MOSIX

Thanks for the suggestions Bert!

See comments below:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bert Rolston" <BertR wanganui-city school nz>
To: <jmsjnsn linuxfreemail com>
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2002 2:56 PM
Subject: RE: [K12OSN] Re: MOSIX

> Hi James,
>
> How about this alternative?
>
> * Put a second ( or third ) nic in the server. Set it up as a separate
> subnet eg. 192.168.254.0
> * Connect an 8 port switch or hub to the nic.
> * Run some old machines on this separate network as dedicated cluster
> machines. I believe process sharing can be limited to these machines. They
> wouldn't have to run a gui.

Why not?  You could compile optimized kernels with the OpenMosix patch for
the load-balancing computers (the LTSP server too of course) and set them
(the load-balancing boxes *not* the server) to runlevel 3 in lts.conf and it
would eliminate Xwindows on them altogether.  I don't know how much mileage
you would get out of "old" machines (pre-Pentium II) but who knows unless we
try?

Moving the load-balancing (or shall I just call them "helpers"?  LOL!) off
to another switch couldn't hurt either since the processes will be migrating
from only the LTSP server anway.  Sounds reasonable to me.  No worries about
failover as these servers should not be shut off except by the
administrator.