Re: [K12OSN] Re: MOSIX

James,

My test cluster is now running OpenMosix. Install scripts are going well. The scripts are brute force right now(aka no error checking). I'm currently working on a pre compiled ltsp openmosix kernel. My first package will be a .tgz file and/or iso image. Everything that is needed from openmosix and ltsp will be included. The package size looks like it will be 45-50meg including kernel sources.

My test cluster is as follows:
server
PII400 (dual cpu)
256M RAM
hd, cdrom
2 100mbit cards

clients (4 running currently)
366 celeron
64-128Meg ram
100mbit net cards

Switch
8 port
100mbit full duplex

The -j option is the number of jobs make should run. The files that take longer to compile get migrated.

Room for the nodes is an issue. Running out of power is a bigger one :( On the positive side you'll have a nicely heated room in the winter.

Adding the information from the howto is fine.

Richard

James Jensen wrote:

Richard:

Now that's good stuff!  I'm looking forward to your continued documentation
of this stuff.  Were you running 100Mbit FD or HD?  What would you estimate
as "smaller" installation?  I am hoping some of the labs out there get to
test this stuff and post some stats.

I intend on building a AMD XP Dual-Processor box with 1-2GB RAM for testing
and demonstration purposes, and I hope to collect enough "junk" systems for
about 20 clients.  Where I will put this stuff I don't know yet but we'll
see what we can do.  I will have to go with Fast Ethernet, I won't be able
to afford Gigabit at this point.

What does the -j6 switch do for us during the kernel compile?

I know you are putting together documentation, scripts, etc as you can.  I
wonder if you might grant permission for me to update my Mini How-To with
the cp {userland tools} section of your Mosix text?  At this point I feel
like it's kind of lacking a little without that completion.  Do you mind?

Thanks,

James

Everyone,

From my testing 8 nodes running seti home went pretty good. 100Mbit

switch should be fine for smaller installations. A switch with a

gigabit link to the server should keep most people happy for some time.

The idea of course is to make the client display responsive.

You may want to try traffic shaping. Have the server kernel give the

highest traffic priority to the Xwindows protocols. Your client display

refresh rate will rely on how loaded the server is.

The next challenge is migrating processes off the server. The easiest way

I've found is to tell mosix that the CPU speed is slower than it

really is. This has worked for me at least.

The other issue is process execution time. The longer the process runs

the more likely it will migrate to another node. The next time you

compile the kernel do the following.

Take the number of nodes you have and add one to it. If you have any

nodes that have multiple CPUs, count each CPU as a node. My

example cluster gives me 6. Type

make -j6 bzImage
make -j6 modules

Watch the load on the cluster. Your mileage will vary on this one:)

Good luck
Richard Camp

I know one thing for sure, with the 4-5 PC's I had running on 10Mbit,

that

poor little hub was smokin' when I would stress test the cluster--solid
green activity lights across the board.  The collision light wasn't

solid

but it was flashing *a lot*.  Watching the lights is not a very accurate
measure of traffic of course, LOL, but with no management facility on

it,

that's the best I tell you.

When the cluster was under load it still appeared that the clients

Xwindows

refreshes were working well (even better then with non-OpenMosix

kernels.

Especially on that old 486-66mhz. It really made it feasible &

worthwhile

to use that old dog as a client.).

As you mentioned it will be very interesting to see what happens on a

large

set up.  I'm guessing that a Fast Ethernet (100Mbit Full Duplex) network
would be able to handle the load even on a larger install.

The big concern, to me, remains--what happens when Client #1 process A

is

running on Client #5, and Client #5 powers off. What happens to process

A?

The failover factor...

It may just be that OpenMosix would need to be a cluster of servers only

at

this point.

Valid questions all, and it would be great fun to test this stuff in a

real

lab.

James