Re: [K12OSN] I got hacked.........

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Max Pakhutkin wrote:

> 2) if you want to be secure most of the time you have to be really
> paranoid about it. Not just 'hmm, let's see what the security journal
> advices me to do this month?' but actually constantly thinking about it.

<ot and geeky>
s/advices/advises/ -- and daily is more like it  (/me peeks
out from under my tin foil hat.)
</ot>

You are right, of course ... but that is really, really not
the point.  Reading that post and indeed this thread, either
live or in the archive, is a nice clear communication that
Open Source is too scary and too resource intensive for mere
mortals (you know, the ones with lives, like teachers,
parents, and Scoutmasters) to consider -- when actually the
issue lies outside of just Open Source.

---------------------

Guys and gals, the lack of trimming (two sets of list footers
in the particular post I respond to), and the 'far afield'
nature of discussing the intricacies of exploited host
response are disheartening.  Security Focus covers this field
authoritatively -- point the questioner at it, and move on.

If there is content relating to K-12 Open Source Now -- and
its promotion, success and failure stories, and so forth -- it
is within the scope of this list.

If a post seeks technical advice or support, it really, really
needs to be elsewhere.  And it is perfectly reasonable to
respond to such a post with a one liner saying --
   "This is Off Topic -- see: http://www.whatever.com/link.html "
_if_ you are _sure_ that is the best link you know.  If you
are unsure -- stay silent.

Spelling, punctuation, and composition count too -- our target
audience includes the very people who have to train the next
generation.  Imagine how disheartening it is to have to read
errors all day at work, and then come home and see that the
product of the education infrastructure is unable to express
concepts well.

This is in self-defense for the list -- it has degenerated,
and become been too geeky, and too technical.  It is going to
scare off the non-technical folks.

Please, please review and consider simple 'Netiquette'
before posting.

-- Russ Herrold