Re: Administrivia Was: [K12OSN] I got hacked.........

> That said, I think the "I got hacked" thread is perfectly on-topic.

I think it is especially on topic due to the number of K12 schools whose
servers are compromised and used to launch attacks or for other things (mail
relay or to a lesser extent, penetration by a student).

Usually this is due to either an inexperienced admin (not knowing how to
setup), not keeping up to date (on patches, advisories or best methods for
operating) or not having time to maintain a system well.

I think one of the prime platforms for open source might be for its security
setup and with how distros are progressing, ease of configuration.  I think
there is actually a market for people (especially schools), who want plug 'n go
devices, which could easily be GPL or BSD based.

Imagine a K12-specific config type, within K12Linux.  Perhaps something
like "Mail Server" or "Web Server" or "Samba Server", which would install
exim/imap/horde+imp for mail and Apache/PHP/MySQL/Perl for a web server.  And
then tutorial and easy config menus.  I know for a fact one of the primary
things holding Linux back is that so many NT admins view it as being too
mysterious and hard.

While K12LTSP does do much, if not all of this, I think doing one specific
thing is better than having one catchall (I think that was K&R's philosophy on
developing UNIX tools) and thus having a specific install for each type might
be beneficial.

Plus I do not personally believe in having one box that does everything as it
is one point of failure, either physical or software and also requires all your
eggs in one basket of equipment.

Anyways, I'm rambling :)  I'm also not volunteering... :)

- James