Re: [K12OSN] Samba changes

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Gary Frankenbery wrote:

>Just a note regarding Samba versions and capabilities.

<snip>

>Samba 2.2.3a - Latest version.  Basically bug fixes to all the features added
>in prior versions.  Substantially improved LDAP integration.
>
>With regard to directory services, Samba has abstracted the password
>management, and will allow smbpasswd's to be stored in LDAP, NIS+ or a TDB
>(trivial database). These are experimental features, but some people are
>using them effectively. Note that LDAP+Samba can provide a setup similar to
>Active Directory, allowing you to have multiple samba domains with consistent
>usernames and passwords.

The LDAP support was marked expermimental in Samba 2.2.2. It was offically
declared stable in 2.2.3a, but is not turn on by default.

The LDAP abstraction code was developed & written here at MESD (although
we no longer maintain it). We've been running various versions of it in
production for about a year and a half now and it has been rock solid.

-Eric