Re: [K12OSN] Maybe this will help

On Sun, 14 Apr 2002, mwagnon wrote:

>Maybe it would be helpful for future reference about my setup. I'm using k12ltsp 2.0.2 and Gnome with a basically "stock" configuration with two nics in my server. It's a Dell PowerEdge 4600 with 4 gigs of Ram. I'm running 60 thinknics from it, no other machines. I installed the Xvesa driver that came with k12ltsp 2.0.2 and it fixed my fonts. I added Sound = Y and what module I was using in my lts.conf and everything runs but ONLY under root. The terminals go through the motions for other users, but nothing comes from the speakers.
>
>Caleb Wagnon

A challenge! You have me stumped, so we're going to start with collecting
some information about your server.

First, let's check to make sure that a couple of the critical files are
there & not corrupted. Run the following commands, if everything is fine
there will be no output:

	rpm -Vf /etc/profile.d/ltsp-esound.sh
	rpm -Vf /usr/lib/libesd.so.0
	rpm -Vf /usr/lib/libesddsp.so.0

Next, log in as root from one of the terminals, verify that sound works, and
then run the following commands:

echo $DISPLAY
echo $UID
echo $ESPEAKER
echo $LD_PRELOAD

Finally, log in as one of the users were sound does not work and run the
same echo commands:

echo $DISPLAY
echo $UID
echo $ESPEAKER
echo $LD_PRELOAD

Post all of the output back here to the list and we'll figure out where to
go from there.

-Eric