Re: [K12OSN] Newbie Question

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 11:44:27AM -0500, Jim Hays wrote:
> I am a K12 Tech Director in Illinois who is considering installing a
> K12LTSP lab in our high school.

welcome to Linux.

> My question/concern - actually, not really my concern but the concern of
> other individual in my department - is that when we connect 24 computers
> in a lab to a single boot/access point, it will be too slow.

>From what I have read, your concerns are valid.  If you are using 10MBit
network equipment, you will need to segment your terminals' LAN for speed.

Segmenting the terminals' LAN into seperate subnets will cause you a lot
of work, and probably pain too..

The easiest way is to cable the terminals direct to a switch, and 10MBit
here will be fine.  Remember, a switch is not a hub.  However, you will
need to cable the switch to the LTSP server using 100MBit (or faster)
networking hardware.  I don't know how much you will spend if you use a
1GBit link server<-->switch, but I would suggest that you price this
combination, consider it an investment in your Labs' future, and then
decide what to buy.

> Can I help speed issues by placing 4 nics in the server (we will buy new
> servers for this) with one of the nics accessing the rest of our network
> while the three other nics connect three different segments of the lab.
> Is it possible to have 8 computers "wired" to each of these nics to
> balance the load on the network?  Is anyone doing something like this?

I haven't done anything like that, but it sounds like the difficult way
to me.

hope that helps.

regards,
Steve