Re: [K12OSN] Samba setup w/ ldap vs NIS/NT domain

We have a test iplanet directory server up and running.  We are doing
roaming profiles with the iplanet server and clients using  netscape.
A couple test users  enter their context in the preference section of
netscape roaming access. Their bookmarks, cookies, addressbooks etc...
follow them to other computers wherever they may go!  THey just have to
put in their correct directory server context.  Works great and it took
very little to setup. I just followed the directions on roaming access
located on the netscape site.

The way I am learning/learned  ldap is through the iplanet directory
server. I tried to pull things from openldap, but found lots of holes in
my understanding. Since we have a sun server the iplanet directory server
was free and I must say the directions were very good.  There is a
sysadmin web page and X software package for DS management.  I did find
this to be a little easier than trying to piece together the openldap
documentation. Once I caught on the rest seems to be  easy.  Also, I do
have limited knowledge in perl and sed-awk.  Just enough to be dangerous
and get the job done.    These tools helped me create the ldif files I
needed to upload the info to the DS.  Besides having these skills for
ldap purposes they are just good skills to carry around! iplanet makes a
directory server for linux and it goes by Netscape Directory Server.  I do
believe you can download a trial from the iplanet web page. Given our
situation we will probably end up using both iplanet and openldap.

Good luck learning ldap.  It took me a little to get use to it.  You will
need to spend some time with it!  However, the rewards will be great.

Mike

Mike Danahy
NOC Director Education Service Unit #2
Fremont, NE