[K12OSN] Slow LTSP

Guys, My terminals are slow. 100mb network, 1.8ghz xeon cpu utilization is fine, same for memory and disk usage is almost non existant (4 gigs of ram). The server came with an integrated gigabit nic that I'm using. Would that matter? I'm pretty sure it self detects the speed. Should I try a 100mb nic? Everything checks out ok. I thought maybe my switch had me bottlenecked, so I took a crossover cable and hooked ONE terminal to my server to play with. I can have 1 terminal going or 60 terminals going, they are all equally, HORRIBLY slow. I know ltsp won't be speedy, but this is slow beyond usefulness. I even went to icewm and now I have xfce (and love it, thanx to Jim Wildman). I want to use one word processor and netscape. I am not running anything locally. It takes sometimes over a minute for any application to open, and you can imagine how it is with netscape. After it opens, it is still unbearably slow. My terminals sometimes just lock up. I really am confidant it isn't a hardware issue. With the above server and thinknic terminals with 64 mb of ram and 266mhz processors especially. Now I HAVE played with the number of file handles allowed, i bumped it up to like 64k or so. Should that matter? How many should I have for 60 machines? Should I be using NFS Swapping? I've tried it with and without and its all equally slow. Ask me for the info and I'll get it to you guys. HELP!

caleb wagnon

---