Re: [K12OSN] Open-mosix question

James Jensen wrote:

What is your setup like?  How many clients?  What kind of hardware, network
capacity, etc?

Please don't laugh... I have no budget for this. We have one PIII 550 MHz IDE machine with 256Mb RAM as the server and about 23 Celeron 500's with 64Mb as the clients. All running on two 24 port switches. The system works fine and gets light loads, but I thought, since the processors are similar in speed, the mosix solution might make some difference.
On another note: the whole network is exposed to the entire university through the switches, and that presents a real problem for everybody (except the Uni IT staff, I guess). I have been trying to firewall this off and bought a P75 with nothing but a floppy and 16Mb for 800 baht ($17) and threw in two old Rtl8139s I had at home, and plug the thing in. Not a problem except that the Uni IPs are 10.x.x.x, but the gateway, nameserver, etc, are all tru e 202.x.x.x. This doesn't appear to be a problem for windows clients, but the 10.255.255.255 gets in my way of contacting anything unless I use "route add." This seems awfully like a hack, and there must be some better way, but I'm an idiot about networking. LTSP over the last two years has taught me EVERYTHING I know (not much). Suggestions welcome.
Dan