[K12OSN] Logging IM traffic

A little off-topic perhaps, but,...

I recently found out that a close friend's 13-year old daughter was
sexually molested by someone she met using one of the Instant Messenger
clients available on the 'net. This has encouraged me to try to
manage closer monitoring of my own daughters' IM activities. It's
occurred to me that someone may have already implemented something to
do this.

Does anyone know if this is something Squid can accomplish, or if
there is something else available that can log specific traffic
for later review?

john-