Re: [K12OSN] Logging IM traffic

John:
<quote>
> > I recently found out that a close friend's 13-year old daughter was
> > sexually molested by someone she met using one of the Instant
Messenger
> > clients available on the 'net.
</quote>

I would love to see this type of thing never happen, but as a teenager I
would implore you to think about what privacy implications scanning your
daughter's IM/email could cause.  I can think of at least a couple off
the top of my head...

- Invasion of Privacy.  iirc that is a civil offense (and of course I am
way too young to be a lawyer) if not... it could have serious
backlash...

- Awkward situations.  so... you install this scanner and you find
something out... how will you approach her about it expecially if she
doesn't know about it? etc.

<quote>
> > Though I think the absolute best is to just be able to have the confidence in
> > your child not to do things like that and to have their confidence in you that
> > they would tell you if they felt uncomfortable online.  Thats more valuable
> > than any software package or amount of money.
> >
> I agree. And I think I have educated my children enough to be able to
> trust them. But my friend had done an even better job educating his
> daughter, and she still fell victim.
>
> I don't want to monitor what they do, I just want to be able to go back
> and review if I ever feel there's a need to.
</quote>

couple of things... you might talk with your daughter about turning
logging on her IM client on, I have it on for my clients and I have
about 60MB of logs that I can use if I need them. as a second note I
have another 60 MB of them for IRC where I actually have had to use them
to support an accusation that had been made.

whatever happens tell your daughter what you are doing.

John: if you want to talk to me about it more feel free to send an
email.

Jason Straw
Senior, Yorktown High School, Arlington, VA
IRCop, irc.openprojects.net

On a side note... check out the LTSP IRC help channel on
irc.openprojects.net  either #k12ltsp or #ltsp