Re: [K12OSN] Logging IM traffic

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 11:32:53PM -0400, Jason Straw wrote:

> I would love to see this type of thing never happen, but as a teenager I
> would implore you to think about what privacy implications scanning your
> daughter's IM/email could cause.  I can think of at least a couple off
> the top of my head...

On this list, we build networks for *kids* and we will do our best to
make sure we don't create a tool for them to put themselves at risk.
That's just how it is..  If that puts an end to someones' lunchtime
sortie into an 'underground' world out there, then our job is complete.

> - Invasion of Privacy.  iirc that is a civil offense (and of course I am
> way too young to be a lawyer) if not... it could have serious
> backlash...

<shrug>  8-)

> - Awkward situations.  so... you install this scanner and you find
> something out... how will you approach her about it expecially if she
> doesn't know about it? etc.

*I* wouldn't approach her. I would Delete the account immediately, and
kick the user off if they are logged in.  End of story. <shrug>  8-)

> [....]... you might talk with your daughter about turning
> logging on her IM client on [....]

Security is not security when users can turn it off to hide their activities.

> whatever happens tell your daughter what you are doing.

Well, I agree with you on that point.  Perhaps a standard LTSP install
should monitor *everything*, and the standard "Terms and Conditions"
to "have an account on this system", should include a "policy statement"
about what is permitted and what is not permitted.

sorry if that wasn't what you wanted to hear, Dude.  ;-)

hehe,
Steve

p.s. ahhh, that makes my day.  8-))