Re: [K12OSN] Logging IM traffic

Bill Gates, in one of his most profound statements, said that now that he has children, he does not block their access to anything, but monitors the logs of what they view - he hopes that he has set the right values within his children, and uses this to evaluate the result.

It is a matter of parental responsibility to set values within children, and guide their journey within those values.

It is our responsibility within a school environment to 1) minimize the opportunity for children to stray from societal norms and 2) reduce or eliminate legal liability by providing what is, according to the law "a safe and responsible environment for the education of our children."

In this light, IM does not exist in our school environment - it is as insidious as passing notes when we were children, if not worse, as it expands the note passing boundary outside the classroom.

Yeah, it might be nice to have logs, but, personally, I see zero positive value to students having IM in a school environment.

Someone care to enlighten me??

Kirk