Re: [K12OSN] Logging IM traffic

I found 2 references in my email archive.  I've tried neither of these
myself.

"Try msgsnarf from dsniff suite (http://www.monkey.org/~dugsong/dsniff/)"

And here is a snort rule that purports to log all aim traffic

alert tcp any any -> any 5190 (msg:"AIM Message"; content:"HTML";)

Logging or blocking ALL of the traffic is harder than it seems.  The
client code is pretty adept about finding new ways through the firewall.
And it usually is not acceptable to blackhole *.aol.com

Jim Wildman, CISSP                                      jim rossberry com
614-404-1897                                     http://www.rossberry.com