[K12OSN] Re: K12 LTSP Network Card Issue

Hello Kyle,

I'm going to forward your problem on to the K12OSN list. I bet someone
there will have had experience with this...

;-) Paul

On Mon, 2002-04-22 at 07:43, Kyle Herbert wrote:
> Hi, I'm not sure I'm sending this question to the right individual, so I
> apologize in advance if this is misplaced.
>
> I'm "playing" with K12LTSP for use at my child's elementary school:
> www.stmark-wels.org .  The installation was exceedingly easy for the server.
> I created a boot floppy diskette for my test client workstation.  It boots,
> downloads the kernel, starts mounting the file system (/proc) and then fails
> as it cannot find support for the network card:  "Can't locate module
> epic100".  I used option 128 and 129 in the dhcpd.conf file to indicate the
> network card uses the epic100 driver -- an SMC 9432TX EtherPower II network
> card.
>
> I read on the LTSP web site that it might be necessary to compile a custom
> kernel in order to use network cards that do not have support built in.  Of
> course, I also read in the LTSP documentation that as of 2.09 all PCI
> network cards should be automatically detected.  So I am confused...
>
> I guess I could really use some direction if you have the time and ambition
> as to how to add support for an SMC 9432TX (epic100) network card to the
> K12LTSP server.  As we have a couple dozen of these network cards (some with
> boot proms), I'd really like to use this card.  Feel free also to direct me
> to another source of information as well if I've sent this to the wrong
> authority.  I would appreciate any advice you can offer.
>
> Thanks much,
> --Kyle
>
> Kyle Herbert

Paul Nelson                                pnelson riverdale k12 or us
Riverdale School..............11733 SW Breyman Ave. Portland, OR 97219
(503)636-4511......fax(503)635-6342.....http://www.riverdale.k12.or.us