RE: [K12OSN] Windows Reliability Threatened

Hi Aaron,

> I know many linux people don't like IE5/6. It has its issues. However, it
> also carriers some newer DLL files that significantly improve performance
in
> other areas. One other option you may consider is installing win98 SE
> instead of the original win98. It requires far less updating. Also,
> Publisher 2000 should be more than adequate for your users needs and
won't
> require you to jump through hoops and turn cartwheels to get it
installed.

Thanks.

My problem is called "The New Zealand Governement".

It closed a deal with MS for the latest software late last year. So I now
have Publisher 2002.

I could purchase the older media, for a reasonable price, and put my system
upgrade further behind.

Most of the problems are being overcome. MS makes it easier to install
using their settings.

I've just used their custom install wizard. But hey presto, it won't allow
me to prevent IE5 installation. So I'm doing a manual un-install to see if
Publisher 2002 will break. Guess what-- Publisher didn't break. I suspect
it won't let me publish web pages. I can think of better software to do
this with anyway, like notepad (very tongue in cheek)!

I'm running W98 using Win4Lin inside a K12LTSP terminal session, so any
time W98 breaks I blow it away and go back to a good config. Very nice. I
can re-instate a session in about 5 minutes.

If I was teaching DTP I would use Pagemaker or something else. Publisher
doesn't appear to be up to that standard.

Cheers,
Bert

> my 2c
> Aaron