Re: [K12OSN] Audit techniques? off-topic?

                 Here's the deal: I am trying to work on an internal audit of hardware and
software in my district so we will be prepared when the Giant of the North
(inevitably?) comes knocking. I am curious what tricks any of you might
have come up with to make the process of collecting information from
computers go more quickly and smoothly. I have looked at software from
Belarc and Lanauditor, which would be ideal, but are far too costly for my
poor little school district; that money could buy a lot of books (or
licenses for OS's for that matter...).

Quentin,

We use a program called Track-it put out by Blue Ocean Software.  It is a help desk ticketing system as well as an inventory and purchasing system.  It has a module that will audit a computer via a web interface to the Track-it server, but it has to be done at the computer you are auditing.  I didn't purchase the software so I don't know the cost.  We are running a Win NT 4.0 network.  Hope this helps.  I can't help you on open source programs that will do this.

Joe Gonzalez
Proligo, LLC
Boulder/IT
303/516-3112