Re: [K12OSN] Audit techniques? off-topic?

At 10:51 AM 4/24/2002 -0700, you wrote:
Quentin Hartman wrote:

I am considering putting together a web-driven database system using filemaker (I would use SQL, but I don't think I know it well enough to get it running in the relatively small timeframe I have for this project), but that still means a lot of manual entry. I have found a program called FreshDiagnose which will suck out all the information about the computer, but it doesn't put store it in a particularly useful format, and I wonder if it might end up being more work than manual entry.

Don't know how much this will help you, and it may just be overkill, but have a look at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/irm/

It's a complete trouble ticket/inventory management system, but it has as one component license tracking, which may be useful to you. I'm planning on rolling it out this summer - only downside is populating the databases from scratch - I'm downloading FreshDiagnose now to see what format it puts data in - perl is a great tool for dealing with things like this :)

Anyone know of similar software for Macs?

That's the one problem, not much for Macs. Ideally, the software would need to compile the data from Macs and Windows.
Creating a batch file to scan for .exe files will generate a list of executables on windows, but for audits they want to know if Office Standard, Office Pro, or Office Premium is installed. If you don't have Office but have bought Word outside of the package, they want to know that. So just looking for the Word executable isn't enough. Some of the Audit packages for windows I have seen use the SID (software identification database) to determine exactly which package was installed.

Roger

Eugene OR