[K12OSN] Samba woes

msec in Mandrake 8.2 is killing me!  It resets file permission and
apparently turns off services I need at regular intervals.  I have to get
that sorted out ASAP.  It wreaks havoc on Samba...

I have exactly the opposite problem. I was using Samba under Mandrake 8.2 without a hitch, but had some other problems, so I saved all my conf files, switched to K12LTSP, and loaded them. I don't know what happened, but the windows computers (win98SE) see NOTHING on the netwok. They report that the network is entirely unreachable. So I scrapped the .conf files and set it up again from scratch with Webmin. No luck. I have tried using SMN as a WINS server or not. I have wiped all the users, added them manually, and changed passwords. My clients still can see nothing (not even the 600 other windows machines on the network) and smbclient fails to connect from the server to the server with an NT AUTH error. Why would this happpen?
Dan