Re: [K12OSN] Samba woes

Daniel Bodanske wrote:

> > msec in Mandrake 8.2 is killing me!  It resets file permission and
> > apparently turns off services I need at regular intervals.  I have to get
> > that sorted out ASAP.  It wreaks havoc on Samba...
>
> I have exactly the opposite problem.  I was using Samba under Mandrake 8.2
> without a hitch, but had some other problems, so I saved all my conf files,
> switched to K12LTSP, and loaded them.  I don't know what happened, but the
> windows computers (win98SE) see NOTHING on the netwok.  They report that the
> network is entirely unreachable.  So I scrapped the .conf files and set it up
> again from scratch with Webmin.  No luck.  I have tried using SMN as a WINS
> server or not.  I have wiped all the users, added them manually, and changed
> passwords.  My clients still can see nothing (not even the 600 other windows
> machines on the network) and smbclient fails to connect from the server to
> the server with an NT AUTH error.   Why would this happpen?

Sounds like something is blocking broadcasts.  Windows relies on
broadcasts; perhaps a firewall somewhere is blocking broadcasts?  I
don't know how you're configured; linux boxes will not forward
broadcasts.

--Yan

--
Famous first words: My, my, my, my, my!
Jason, age 16 mos, to his older sister

spam killer code kpwq1jkcsEzdx39gnkVvgycd15ayqq