RE: [K12OSN] swap size

OK, so this "rule of thumb" was specified by Windoze some 30+ years ago, or some 15+ year before Windoze existed. Interesting view of history....I'm sure that Bell Labs would get a kick out of this interpretation. Revisionist history at its' finest!

With Win2k at least, you use most of swap space, even if physical RAM is not even close to being allocated. Swap space on 'Nix's are exactly what John indicated they were, and the swap=mem is just a rule of thumb, and the subject of more than a few performance tuning scenarios.

Kirk

At 12:17 PM 4/29/2002, you wrote:
> I'd love to know where that rule of thumb came from. It's been
> around for 20 years or more. In my opinion, it's completely wrong.

It comes from interpretation of swap space for Windoze servers. Basically NT
or 2k suggest swap space to the same size as your available RAM in order to
be able to do disk dumps in case of system crashes.

Regards
Anthon Walters