Re: [K12OSN] swap size

The rule of thumb for Red Hat Linux 7.1 and 7.2 comes from a part of the
Linux 2.4 kernel VM implementation (from 2.4.0 til about 2.4.12? I
think). There are a couple of cases where the kernel will aggressively
swap out all its memory plus anything that was already swapped out. This
would cause any box with less than 2x swap to lock hard. Some VM people
saw this as a feature for other reasons than this case.. but it hit
enough people that the kernel developers told RH to require no less than
2x memory. The later 2.4 kernels do not have this 'feature' and you can
probably get away with 1x swap space.

For the K12LTSP 2.0.x boxes you will need at least 2x.. To answer the
original question, you should be fine with 1024 Mb of swap. The old rule
of thumb was to have 2x-8x of swap because by the time you were using 8x
of your memory the box was probably in swap death and should be shut
down anyway.

--
Stephen John Smoogen
  smooge mindspring com