Re: [K12OSN] more K12LTSP 3.0 testing

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Gary Frederick wrote:

>Mozilla and fonts - two of my favorite subjects.
>
>FYI - I will probably play with 'USE_XFS = Y'. I don't have a fast server, but I only have a few clients.
>
>and...
>
>We use a modified Mozilla. I have a dev version I get from their CVS that I run to get the latest code. I would prefer to apply changes to the 'official' rpm. Can I get some input on the best way to merge the source from Mozilla with whatever is done to the version that is included with k12ltsp?

All I've done is take the mozilla-1.2_rh8_xft src rpm and change the
bookmarks. Nothing fancy.

What customizations are you doing?

>This is a question I have had about various packages. What is the best way to get a newer version of a package and add the changes made for RedHat?

I assume you mean you want to update a package to a newer version, say take
RedHat's foo-1.0.0.i386.rpm and create a new foo-1.0.1.i386.rpm?

The short answer is that if you install the source rpm, foo-1.0.0.src.rpm,
the pristine source (foo-1.0.0.tgz) and all of the patches will be found in
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/. The specification file for the rpm will be found
in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/.

After installing the src.rpm, you can copy over new pristine sources to
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ and edit the spec file accordingly, making
adjustments and/or patches as necessary. Then "rpmbuild -ba foo.spec" to
build the binary packages.

-Eric