Re: [K12OSN] more K12LTSP 3.0 testing -- K12OS has apt-get!?!?!?!?

I was thinking of installing and configuring
Debian just for apt, I guess I'll wait for now.

IMHO you may still want to consider it. Other Debian strong points are:

* Seamless upgrades. Debian remembers questions it asked the user in a database and only asks new questions when a package is upgraded. Debian's upgrades also detect when you modified a particular config file and asks if you want to replace that file or install the new file as "file.conf.dpkg-new".

* Huge amounts of software. The latest Debian stable version (Woody/3.0) has almost 9000 software packages.

* Sane packaging defaults. This is a subtle point, but one you'll come to appreciate: the care that goes into creating Debian packages. Compared to many RPM-based packages, you'll find that it's easy to tell that Debian packages are created by admins who use the software and know it well.

* Support for multiple architectures: Alpha, ARM, HP PA-RISC, Intel x86, Intel IA-64, Motorola 680x0, MIPS, MIPS (DEC), PowerPC, IBM S/390, and SPARC. You might not need that now, but flexibility down the road might be needed.

Debian has some warts, admittedly. Some complain about the installer (which is being addressed), and Debian doesn't have the many nifty GUI control panel-type tools that Red Hat is developing. But for most experienced Linuxers, those aren't major knocks...

--
 Regards, | Because you run Windows and use the Internet does not mean
 .        | that you consent to give away all of your rights and privacy!