Re: [K12OSN] Large File Size Questions

> Problem -

 > Creating a file > 2GB in Linux (and netatalk)

 I am trying to create a disk image of a mac hard drive that is larger
 than 2GB.    I don't know if the problem stems from the file system,
> or netatalk. (I have a beta copy of disk copy that does allow
 images > 2GB and I can use it to duplicate images to a local attached
 drives).

 I am attempting to create the large file on YellowDog 2.3 with a
 2.4.19 kernel running netatalk 1.5.3.1.  There is plenty of space on
 the drive, and it's currently formatted ext2 with 4096 block size.
 I've tried 1K blocks and 2K blocks, and ext3 as well.

 > Here's the silly question -

What would the syntax be to create a 2+ GB file using DD? I want to rule out the filesystem as the problem by creating a large file from
> the command line, and I just can't get the syntax for DD right....

Eric and Jim thank you both....both tests worked and allowed me to rule out the file system.

> Tougher question -

I've scoured the docs in netatalk - does it have a file size limit
 > that's interfering with me?

I found my answer and the answer is "no". Netatalk currently supports AFP 2.X which limits file to 2GB. They are working on v3.0 of AFP but it's not released yet.

So the problem was netatalk.

Thanks for the help!!!!

Scott