Re: [K12OSN] How to make K12LTSP accessible via Internet

At this stage it would probably be very useful for the original poster to
explain what sort of file sharing they are looking for.  It's fairly easy
to let people grab files via http/https.  Providing people with files via
https is arguably the easiest and most secure method.  Easiest to use, not
necessarily the easiest to set up.  Still, a little PHP/Zope/Tomcat/etc.
work may provide a robust solution.

FTP is another (arguably bad) method of sharing files.  I say bad because
it's not secure (passes authentication information in clear text) and it's
a pain to filewall (due to it's multi-port nature, and lets just avoid the
whole active vs. passive issue).

You can do SMB (i.e., samba) or NFS over the internet.  Just because you
can certainly doesn't mean that you should.  Neither would be a good idea
on a server exposed to the internet.

There are a multitude of other options.  SCP comes to mind, as do others.
The bulk of these don't require anything extra to be installed on your
LTSP server.  They may or may not require software on the client side (the
machine you're connecting to the server from).

As I said, the right solution is going to depend on exactly what the
original poster is trying to accomplish.  If they just need to let a
student send an assignment home, then an attachment to an e-mail may even
be the right way to transfer (small) files from an account on an LTSP
server to an off-site (i.e., not on the lan/wan) system.

Jeff