[K12OSN] HELP!!!

My server died. Completely, totally, irrevocably. I restarted and it couldn't even find a file system. I think (hope) that the drive is going down. The ironic part is that this happened in the
midst of running a backup (I was scp-ing my home directory to another machine when the copy stalled and the disk started making a skrr-skrr-skrr sound).

I never foresaw such a complete meltdown (do we ever?) so I'm now completely screwed.

The first thing I have to do is get my terminals to login again so my kids don't sit around looking disappointed in me. That means I have to reconstruct the modeline that Daniel Bo gave me and I, so far as I can tell, never wrote down anywhere.

Could someone please send me a few instructions about how to install modelines in the ltsp.conf file and a list of some to try (I have Cirrus Logic CL-GD5436 chips with generic Compaq SVGA monitors.)

In addition, could someone point me to a good program that will take a snapshot of my working system in case this happens again. Also, I have a backup of the home directory from two weeks ago...if I re-create all my users and copy the home back over, should that work reasonably well?

Thanks,
Todd