[K12OSN] Re: recommnedation for remote email retrieval

I have configured fetchmail for this one user via webmin.  Webmin created .fetchmailrc in the
user's home directory.  I copied that file to another location and put the following in root's
crontab:

*/3 * * * * /usr/bin/fetchmail -f /*path*/.fetchmailrc

After some google searching and man pages, I still could not figure out how to run fetchmail in
daemon mode.  So, it is now function for this user.  However, I still am presented with two
problems.

1.  Can I get the results of the cronjob sent to a logfile (i.e. messages) instead of emailed to
root?

2.  I can see where I might want to do this for more users.  How would I employ fetchmail for more
than one user?

BTW, I will not be using this to send email.  We have our own network connected to the internet and
our own servers.

Thanks,

On 3 Dec 2002 at 15:48, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Michael Cortes wrote:
>
> > I am with a school district and may have a unique situation here.
> > Our superintendent has a dialup account with a local ISP.  She would
> > like it if I can get our server to pop her account and deposit that
> > email in her account on our server.  Is that possible?
> >

> Fetchmail will do the job just fine.  This is what it was designed to
> do.  It will handle the translation of user names if her name on the
> local system is different from the on on her ISP.  It will also handle
> getting mail from more then one ISP or mail account at the same time.
> You can ether run it as a system cron job, or as a user cron job.  If
> you run it as a system cron job, you ether need to have her password
> information, or you need to write a job that will use a config file in
> her home directory to get the password.  If you do not have a full-time
> internet connection, you can also run it as part of your connection
> script.
>
> One other way to run it is to run fetchmail in the daemon mode, and let
> it grab her mail every x minutes.  If you are using a dialup connection,
> it will still work - you just tell it to monitor the dialup interface,
> and it will only try when the interface is up.

Michael Cortes
Fort LeBoeuf School District
34 East 9th Street
PO Box 810