Re: [K12OSN] configuring email server

Personally, I like postfix better than sendmail.  It can certainly do your
#1 and #2.  Of course, I'm fairly certain sendmail can do both as well.

As for your spam filtering software, I'm using spampd (which is a mail
relay that uses spamassassin) infront of my mail server.

http://www.worlddesign.com/index.cfm/rd/mta/spampd.htm

http://www.spamassassin.org/

This was the easiest way to set it up given my configuration.  I took a
look at messagewall.org, and it looks like it can be run as a relay as
well (i.e., it accepts all messages on port 25, checks for spam and virii,
and then passes the message on to your MTA on a different IP and/or port).

Spampd scores messages and adds some headers to the messages.  My users
that want to can filter based on those headers.  My other users that don't
care don't see anything unusual in the subject and/or body of the messages
that they receive.  The bulk of my users use Sieve (part of the Cyrus IMAP
package) for mail filtering.

Granted, for a very high use mail server this sort of relay configuration
isn't optimal because it introduces a potential bottleneck infront of your
MTA.

Also note that I haven't used MessageWall, only looked at the online docs
for a few minutes.

Anyway, it's just another configuration option that you may want to look
at.

Jeff