[K12OSN] Re: K12OSN digest, Vol 1 #619 - 1 msg

Having done a lot of research into this subject I can tell you that I have
not found any solutions I have liked.  Don't get me wrong, there are some
very good OSS programs for libraries, but they all rely on the MARC record
structure.  Dublin Core is better, but it also leave much to be desired.
The other big problem you will run into is finding book records to import.
LOC does not own there records, and neither do most libraries.  The license
terms for most records are outrageous and are out of reach of just about all
public schools.

That said, the best sites for OSS library systems are
http://www.oss4lib.org/
and
http://www.koha.org

For some background information try:
http://dublincore.org/
http://www.loc.gov/marc/

Oh, and while I am at it, free MARC records can be downloaded from this list
of sources:
http://www.sunlink.ucf.edu/faq/marc_download/

[snip]