Software Raid was ....Re: [K12OSN] HELP!!!

On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 19:40, Steve Wright wrote:

>...snip...
>
> You don't need a fancy RAID controller to do this, although there might
> be a performance hit.  Anyone know if there is performance penalty with
> software RAID ?  If you are using IDE, you must put each drive on its'
> own IDE cable, and configure the drive as primary.

Hi Steve,

I've used software raid without too much difficulty.

Linux and Novell seem to do software raid efficiently. MS software raid
on NT4 did cause performance degradation.

I suspect Linux and Netware are more efficient because of the way they
use memory for buffering and caching.

Cheers,
Bert