Re: Software Raid was ....Re: [K12OSN] HELP!!!

Bert,
	software RAID carries a performance penalty. The reason for it is
spelled out in the very name: "software ..."; the system has to run it. it
doesn't support disk swapping, since it is done on lvm level. There are
many motherboards available with adaptec raid built in. the ata133 raid is
unbelievably fast and supports raid 1 (mirroring), raid 5 (redundant data
on all disks) and raid 6 (really neat - look it up on adaptec site). the
raid works *before* any operating system gets into play - this is very,
very good. you can get 2 mirrored 160GB ata133 drives for about $500. the
systen will see one 160GB drive. you partition it as one drive. if one
physical drive goes down, there is hardly a hiccup. same functionality is
available for scsi. look into it, this is the best thing since striped
drives, or was it sliced bread ...
julius