Re: Software Raid was ....Re: [K12OSN] HELP!!!

Hey Julius,

> Bert,
> 	my bad, adaptec calls it raid 50 or sometimes raid 5/0, but there
> is a raid 6 spec:
> http://www.acnc.com/04_01_06.html

OK, I'll have to look this up. It sounds interesting.

> i have *not* even atttemped to implement it. i use raid 5 and 1
> extensively on large unix systems and i just don't know how i lived before
> it was available ;-)

I've seen 5+1 used before. Even done it myself.

I used a lot of Compaq gear, and this was always available.

So 5/0 would be something like 3 stripe sets, of 4 drives with parity,
and then you use 0 to stripe across these?

That would give pretty good performance and reliability.

> julius

Cheers,
Bert